Monday, August 4, 2014

Adventure day #2

Started the day early.  Like 0545 early.  Woke up to a very wet tent.  Not inside, but soaked on the outside.  It didn't rain, but the fog on the bluff was thick enough to cut with a knife.  
Packed up camp and was on the go by 630.  Went to town for breakfast, and say with a very nice group of seniors at the local diner.  Finished my to go coffee while looking at this.
Not a bad way to start the morning.  

Drove into Dubuque, and got a good look at the Mississippi.
Didn't ride the train at Fenlon place.  I just drove to the top. Not particularly impressive.
Next stop... McGregor and the first Pikes Peak state park.  Fantastic views!
On to Effigy Mounds state park, where there's a bunch of lumpy mounds that aren't really much to look at from the ground.  And the hike to the point was all uphill.  Very glad it wasn't blisteringly hot out.  But it was a pretty walk.
This little guy was nice enough to pose for a photo.

Back in the card or the short drive to Decorah, and the Ice Cave.  It really is frozen in the summer!  Cold enough inside to see my breath in the air, and you could feel the cold air coming out of the cave before you got to the entrance.  I only went in as far as you could go standing up.  I could've gone farther if I was willing to crawl through a tiny tunnel, apparently it opens up again into a larger cave with more spectacular ice.... But I wasn't willing to crawl an unknown distance in the pitch dark. (The entire cave is dark, but I had a small headlamp)
For those of you who know me well, you know I don't do small spaces, so you probably aren't surprised.  
Still in Decorah was Dunning's Spring Waterfall.  A small falls by my NY standards, but still pretty.  I chose to climb the falls in my bare feet to get a shot from the top
The water was ICY!
After my feet thawed enough to feel my clutch I started the drive to Clear Lake.  Clear lake is mostly known for being the site of the plane crash that killed Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and The Big Bopper.
Snagged a campsite at the state park, and was set up in no time.  With the door of the tent facing the right way this time.

Went for a swim in the lake, which I frankly think was misnamed.  The water is definitely NOT clear.  But it was warm enough to not shriek when going in yet cool enough to be refreshing after a hot sweaty day.

After my trip to town for dinner (cold hot dogs because I was too lazy to start a fire, an apple, and a mini box of wine) 
I chatted up the gentleman across the way about his car.  A 1926 model T.
Which he admits is not a perfect restoration, but it suits him just fine!

Clouds are rolling in and thunder in the distance tell me I may get rained on... But after this morning, at least I know the tents waterproof.  

No comments:

Post a Comment