Saturday, January 17, 2015

I hate working with this person (you know the one, or at least the "type")

No matter who you are, what town you live/work in, what field you work in, or where you work, there is *always* someone that you periodically work with, that you would almost rather do the job yourself than have to work with them.  Sometimes it's just a personality clash, we all have those sometime. Sometimes it's nothing you can put your finger on, but you Just. Don't. Like this person.

Regardless, tonight I had to deal with this person.  I don't work with her frequently, but every time I do it seems like a ginormous clusterf&*k.  I'm not going to call this a personality clash, and it's definitely something I CAN put my finger on.  No matter what's going on, she always has to stick her nose in, because she knows more than you.  But she's also generally the first to complain about a heavy workload.  Or what she percieves as a heavy workload.  "I'm not doing that, I'm too busy."
"The supervisor told me I didn't have to do X, She said I only had to do Y" 

And despite the fact that she thinks she knows more than you, and always has to stick her nose in, or give her opinion, she's actually not that knowledgeable, and in fact if you think about it, it's kind of frightening.  Because she really thinks she knows her shit.  But in reality, she's actually kind of dangerous to work with. 

I find this a difficult situation to deal with, because there is usually very little you can really do about it.  Confronting the person, even in a subtle and not nasty way, isn't effective, because they are always right, and your opinion of them doesn't matter to them, because you're wrong anyway.  Reporting anything but blatatnly inappropriate or dangerous behavior to your supervisor kind of seems like tattling.  (Please keep in mind that if the situation is truly dangerous, and not just annoying, I would report it withut a second thought.)

Right now I'm just thankful I don't have to do this very often.

No comments:

Post a Comment