Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Projects and the "To Do List"

Holidays are always a busy time of year.  Wait... Who am I kidding, it's busy all year 'round.  Right now I'm struggling with a list of things I need to do, things I want to do, and things I actually have time for.  Unfortunately, there really aren't too many items that fall on all three lists. 

I really need to study for my National Certification exam.  This is a professional thing, that will net me a one time cash bonus, and look good on my annual evaluation, hopefully assisting me in getting the best annual step raise possible for my pay grade.  This is a must do kind of thing.  But.... BLEH.  I really hate studying and really haven't been able to just buckle down and do it.  I toyed with just singing up to take the test and paying the money, thus forcing myself to study, but was talked out of this plan in favor of studying a bit more first and maybe getting consistently higher scores on practice exams first.  Good in theory, but since the day we talked about that I've barely touched the book or study materials.  *sigh*

Last night at work, I ran into an issue with medication.  It was classified as "Chemo" even though it isn't really.  Problem is the policy for the facility where I work was very vague and unclear about wether or not I could hang this medication, as I'm not "Chemo Certified".  Problem is there wasn't really anyone else to do it, because very few people on the night shift are.  So now getting this certification back (I was certified by a different state in the past) is kind of a priority.  But like the above certification exam, it costs money to take the class that's required to sit for the exam.  I'm far from broke, but there are other things that hit my financial priority list at the moment. (fodder for another post)  But, again the flip side is that obtaining this certification will help me come evaluatio time for my annual raise. 

Then there's the fact that I need to ,want to, and ought to go back to school for my Bachelors degree.  And then possibly farther for my Masters degree.  Same argument for this.  Costs money, lack of time etc.  And flip side is also the same, potential for more future income. 

So why can't I make myself do these things?  Why do I never seem to have the time despite the fact that I only work 7 days out of 14?  Because I have other things to do.  Like sleep. Spend time with my Significant Others, clean the house, do the laundry, grocery shop, and the other various minutiae of life.  (Don't read this to mean that I do all these things alone.... I don't.)

I go to a piloxing class twice a week every other week as my work schedule allows.  I'd like to go more often, and go to the gym, or to a yoga class, or a spin class every once in a while, but with my night work schedule, it's kind of hard to do these things. Not all classes are offered every day, and frankly if it comes down to a choice of exercise class or sleep?  Sleep is going to win every damn time.  Not even a question. 

There's also a lot of organizing and decluttering to be done at home, related to a move in the next 6 months or so.  Mind you the majority of the stuff that needs decluttering and trashing isn't mine.  And I'm not going to nag to get it done.  But it still causes me stress. 

Then there's the whole reason we need to move thing.  We're buying a house.  Or at least we're trying to.  And we have a deadline.  Tick Tock, Tick Tock.  Nah, not stressful at all.  (This..... is sarcasm)

I want all of us to actually go out and do things.  Together.  Not always the easiest thing to do since two of us work the night shift , and the other gets up at the crack of  0'dark 30 to go to work , and goes to bed super early, exhausted nearly every weekday, and most weekends too.  Kind of doesn't really leave any time for pleasure outings.  It barely leaves time for necessities.  This is far from ideal, but I really don't see this changing in the immediate future, so It's just one of those things I have to live with even if its not what I want.

Does anyone know how to make clones?  I'd like one for Christmas, but unfortunately I can't find one on Amazon for my wish list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment